Coraline, by Neil Gaiman.
I chose this book because I started seeing snippets for the movie, and I wanted to read the book first. So, I got it and read it... and then never saw the movie!
This book was okay. I seem to remember pressing through to get to the end so I could go see the movie, not because I couldn't put it down. It did have a very interesting premise, and I enjoyed the characters I met. Maybe it was just the spookiness factor of suddenly, you walk through a door and your family is gone!! And in their place is a family that mostly looks like your family, except with edgier personalities and spooky intentions.
And buttons for eyes??!? This book will always make me think of one of the girls in my class, KP, who was an amazing artist and author. When I was interested in Marley, she was drawing Marley pictures for me. While I was reading this book, and while all the previews were out, she was creating spot-on Coraline drawings and bringing in black plastic buttons for me. They will remain in my top drawer at school. :)
Back to the book! I did enjoy Coraline's thinking outside the box at the end, when she is trying to get back. I don't want to give away too much, which won't be difficult since I finished this book MONTHS ago!!
No comments:
Post a Comment